Fairlawn Foundation Fund
In 1921 members of the Worcester Swedish community established Fairlawn Hospital as a way to serve the growing health needs of the area. Its board of trustees transferred ownership of the hospital in 1991 to a for-profit rehabilitation corporation in response to changes taking place in the healthcare system. In 1992, proceeds from this transaction established the Fairlawn Foundation, an endowed fund administered by Greater Worcester Community Foundation and is one of the earliest health conversion foundations in Massachusetts. Since its inception, Fairlawn has awarded over $400,000 yearly in grants to support capital needs, clinical services, and professional education.
Areas of Interest
Fairlawn Foundation is dedicated to improving health and health care in the Worcester area through grants to nonprofit organizations in our region. In 2013, Fairlawn Foundation aligned its funding guidelines with the Greater Worcester Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) priorities. Areas of interest are:
- Health care workforce training, especially pilot projects to increase the use of paraprofessionals, case managers, and outreach workers
- Demonstration projects to expand access to primary care
- Development of learning facilities, faculty, and scholarships to advance health care professions at all levels
Applicants must be tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations as recognized by IRS code 501(c)(3) located in the greater Worcester area.
Except in unusual circumstances, Fairlawn Foundation generally will not approve grants:
To programs that require more than five years to complete;
- For projects supported by other funds in which the Fairlawn Foundation contribution would comprise less than half of total funding; or,
- For pre-existing projects as a minor participant.
Applications received by the deadline will be reviewed by the Fairlawn Foundation grant committee.
Application Forms & Instructions
The application form is online. The first time an organization applies to the Foundation through our online application system, it creates an Organization Account to use for each application going forward. Please use the same account you have previously used, or create a new one if this your first time applying online. You may contact Foundation staff to find out if your organization already has an account in our system.
Contact: Jonathan Cohen