Worcester County Food Bank Fund to End Hunger
The Fund to End Hunger awards grants to nonprofit organizations that share the vision of creating hunger-free communities and work towards that goal. The Fund seeks to fund innovative and sustainable solutions to the problem of hunger through advocacy and programs that incorporate practices that have shown promise throughout the country or here in Worcester County.
An advisory committee has been established to review proposals and recommend grants from the fund.
Areas of Interest
The Fund to End Hunger was established in 2011 to support hunger-relief organizations that provide direct service as well as anti-hunger advocacy organizations. The following areas are funding priorities:
Access to Healthy Food
Examples include initiatives that improve:
- the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program through advocacy. Advocacy includes efforts to increase SNAP funding and expand utilization among income eligible households.
- the quality of and access to child nutrition programs (school meals, summer meals, after-school meals, and the Women, Infant, and Child Nutrition Program known as WIC)
- the quality of and access to senior nutrition programs (meals on wheels, etc.)
- community food and nutrition resources for households with limited resources including farmers’ markets and community gardens
Economic Self Sufficiency
- Educational and job readiness initiatives that support individual or household self-sufficiency
- Skill development programs such as nutrition-based cooking and budgeting that support individuals and households in maximizing their financial resources
- Initiatives that create jobs
The fund will also consider requests for the purchase of equipment for food handling and storage. Quotes required.
The Fund to End Hunger welcomes applications from the Hunger-Free Network of the Worcester County Food Bank and other 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations with programs in Worcester County.
Scope and Limitations
Grant amounts will generally not exceed $3,000. Exceptional grant applications may be awarded more money. Requests for food purchases and personal care/household items will not be considered. It is not the intent of the Fund to become a long-term funder of operational costs for any one program.
May 15, 2017
Application Forms & Instructions
The application form is online. The first time an organization applies to the Foundation through our online application system, it creates an Organization Account to use for each application going forward. Please use the same account you have previously used, or create a new one if this your first time applying online. You may contact Foundation staff to find out if your organization already has an account in our system.