About the Creative Spark Grant Program
We are strong advocates for the City of Worcester's cultural plan, which lays out a vision for how we want Worcester to be for all of its residents. We also believe that Worcester’s arts and culture community has a unique and important role to play, especially when it comes to our city’s highly diverse population.
The Creative Spark Grant Program is intended to empower the arts & culture sector to advance the cultural plan by activating under-served populations and amplifying under-heard voices. Organizations and individuals engaged in the creative sector – those focused on the arts, culture, and humanities – with a first-time project idea that aligns with these values and advances the plan are invited to apply for a Creative Spark Grant.
Areas of Interest
Creative Spark Grants are meant to spark more connections with and expressions by diverse community voices. Funds will be used to support new efforts in amplifying diverse community voices and presence within the creative sector.
Applicants are not expected to engage every underserved population. Applicants are expected to have a thoughtful justification and strategy for targeting the population(s) they choose.
The one-time Spark Grants may be used for any number of purposes that will bring the innovative idea to fruition. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Cultural events;
- Exhibits or installations;
- Special performances or performance series;
- Communal engagement programs or workshops;
- Creative collaborations.
- Be a tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations as recognized by IRS code 501(c)(3) serving Worcester or a contiguous community; or, an unincorporated organization in a documented fiscal sponsorship agreement with an established nonprofit; or,
- Be an individual member of the creative sector looking to deliver a program or project in Worcester.
Grants may range in size from $500 to $2,500. The Foundation does not need to be the sole funder of any project. Funds will be dispersed upon approval/acceptance, unless specific circumstances exist that warrant delayed payment.
Terms and Conditions
- Projects must take place in Worcester or a contiguous community.
- Projects must have a demonstrated public benefit, specifically in relation to the identified focus population(s).
- Spark Grants may not be used for afterschool or summer enrichment programs for youth; applicants interested in funding for such programs should apply through our Community Grants Program.
- Organizations and individuals chosen will be expected to:
- Participate in one grantee gathering organized by the Foundation;
- At the conclusion of their project, submit a progress report outlining project achievements and, more importantly, describing lessons learned that can be shared with others to increase the capacity of the sector.
Application Forms & Instructions
The application form is online. The first time an organization applies to the Foundation through our online application system, it creates an Organization Account to use for each application going forward. Please use the same account you have previously used, or create a new one if this your first time applying online. You may contact Foundation staff to find out if your organization already has an account in our system.
Contact: Jonathan Cohen