Early Childhood Grants
Greater Worcester Community Foundation awards Early Childhood Grants (part of our Community Grant Program) to support nonprofit organizations that create access to opportunity and upward mobility in the Greater Worcester Region. Our communities need to be environments where basic needs are met, children are cared for, young people are educated and become productive citizens, and opportunities for civic participation are accessible to all. Grants are made possible by donors who have set up endowment funds with us for this purpose.
Greater Worcester Community Foundation believes that we will build a community of opportunity for all by:
- Creation of community conditions that enable upward mobility for people facing barriers to self-sufficiency.
- Elimination or reduction of racial disparities in life outcomes.
- Interventions that are based on convincing evidence, for both “tried and true” and more innovative approaches.
- Outcomes that demonstrate a clearly articulated understanding of how program participants will benefit and measurement of suitable indicators.
- Meaningful collaboration with other parties that impact the issues we seek to address.
- Inclusion of the perspectives of those with lived experience of the issues our funding seeks to address.
Areas of Interest for Early Childhood Grants
A child’s early years are the most critical for human development, and we believe that building a solid foundation during these years is the most effective way to assure a healthy and productive life. We seek to be a community that creates the conditions that will allow all of its children to thrive.
We are especially interested in projects and programs that:
- Increase the quality and availability of early education and care for low-income children
- Provide a foundation for lifelong development rooted in behavioral and physical health
- Support parents and families in their roles as teachers, caregivers, and supporters of their children’s development
- Help eliminate summer learning loss among low-income children
- Improve effectiveness of service systems affecting young children and their families
Terms and Conditions
Grant amounts typically range from $2,500 to $25,000. Applicants must be 501(c)(3) public charities serving Worcester or the cities and towns of Worcester County. Organizations located in the Greater Worcester area, engaging local partners or building local capacity will be preferred. Projects that are not incorporated as independent organizations must apply through an established nonprofit as fiscal agent. Public agencies, municipal departments, and houses of worship are not typically eligible to receive Community Grants.
Application Forms & Instructions
The application form is online. The first time an organization applies to the Foundation through our online application system, it creates an Organization Account to use for each application going forward. Please use the same account you have previously used, or create a new one if this your first time applying online. You may contact Foundation staff to find out if your organization already has an account in our system.
To help you prepare a more effective proposal, we have created a set of instructions for your use. Click here to view them.
September 14, 2020